Monday, October 23, 2006

THE BLOW, JONATHAN RICE, JENNY LEWIS AND THE WATSON TWINS

From Totally Blowing to Totally Blowing Away

On Friday night, Firestone hosted an alt-country evening the Grand Ole' Opry would be proud of. The night began slowly with The Blow, other wise known as Khaela Maricich. Decked out in white jeans and a fluffy matching blouse, Maricich pushed play on her back tracks accompanied with a drum machine and went to town. Her website discribes her as a visual artist/ pop musician/ performer when I would simply refer to her as a bad karaoke attempt. While cooing into the mic she would do little jigs and swung her arms a bit. I wondered if Maricich was Jenny Lewis’ (the headlining act) kid sister whose mom made Lewis take The Blow on tour with them. It was really quite ridiculous and she straight up blew (pun intended).

Soon after, Jonathan Rice (Lewis’ guitarist) began. The baby-faced Saddle Creek heart throb began with quirky banter about Coyotes and ramblings about LA. His songs were straight up country. His vocals were a cross between Johnny Cash and Jacob Dylan. He seemed a bit out of it (maybe drunk or high on something), but his songs were beautiful and simple with only an acoustic and steal guitar. It was a great change from the opening act and an even better warm-up for Lewis.



Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins took the stage around 10 p.m. They began with a harmonized acapella number that left the crowd at a hushed silence. When the song finished the fans lit up and went crazy. Lewis in a black gown with an acoustic guitar stole the show. Her vocals were heart breaking-ly beautiful with the likes of artists such as Dolly Parton and Patsy Kline. The set was also completely country. Lewis' stage presence captured a sweetness and modesty while remaining confident and strong. The 6-foot-tall twins stood to her right and sang with spot-on back ups. In the middle of the show Jenny and the twins changed into teal sequined hot-pant jump suits and danced. They looked as stunning as they sounded. The drummer was quick and tasteful. His fills were perfect and tight. Rice again sang with his deep voice and carried the songs with his lead electric guitar.

It’s not every day that Orlando gets that kind of quality musicianship. I left somewhat in a daze, from my drinks and from the amazing show.

Afterwards I was sitting with some friends at BBQ and she was standing right in front of me. I couldn’t resist. I went and told her how amazing her show was. She politely humored me a talked to me for a minute. Not only was she talented and beautiful, but gracious as well. I think I have found a new favorite, favorite artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home