THE WALKMEN, WILL HOGE
Show Me What You’re Working With… Or Go the Hell Home (OCB Test Column)
A few Sundays ago I got my 80’s on at I-Bar’s Sunday Night Vinyl. I’m the type of person that, for trivia and street-credibility’s sake, must know the name of every artist that has ever had an impact on anything ever. It’s kind of an OCD-ish problem. Every time a song of unknown origin was played, I would yell over my vodka soda and make my friend Michael flex his 80’s trivia muscle; he is somewhat of a guru in the new-wave arts. I would enquire, he would enlighten… it was quite a drunk and educational evening. Afterwards we stood outside, for lack of better things to do, and were approached by one of the Camel guys. Much to my delight he gave us some free tickets to see The Walkmen.

Not one to turn down anything free, a less drunk and educational evening transpired at The Walkmen show. The Social was running an extremely tight ship that evening. I arrived at 11:00 and The Walkmen were already in mid-set. Unfortunately, I doubt I missed much. Being a semi-fan to begin with, the über-sterile five piece played a very unenthusiastic set.
Front man guitarist, Hamilton Leithauser’s Bob Dylan-ish, nasal foray into predictable New Yorkish, brit-rock was super contrived and forced. The gents seemed bored and drove me to make unintentional eye contact with a creepy dude that was equally as bored. (Dear Creepy Dude: I was not starting at you… I was freaking bored and was looking around for someone to save me from my ennui. Glad we cleared that up). I know it’s super cool to be uninterested about shows these days, but come on, can a girl get a hint of enthusiasm up in here, or are we all destined to a life of motionless scene kid emo-ness where we are all confined to controlled foot-tapping-in-beat with a small head jerk movement? Call me old fashion, but when I go to a show I like to be entertained and I prefer that the band give two shits about entertaining me.
This past Saturday The Will Hoge Band also played at the Social. I usually have a bit of a stigma when it comes to bands named after a person. More times than not, the namesake is an egotistical pud-wacker that changes band members like underwear. But, the Will Hoge Band was a delightful exception. I was not disappointed by the rock and roll/ blues/ alt-country medleys that the Nashville boys brought to the stage. They had a warm sound and stage presence. Unlike The Walkmen, they genuinely portrayed a sense of happiness and love for their music. They were technically spot-on with smooth, bluesy keyboards; driving, poppy bass riffs; and un-wanky guitar solos, not to mention Hoge’s raspy, sultry voice. I was entertained and content for most of the evening. I also moved just in time for a plastic cup full of whisky to hit the ground instead of me. There was a lady brawl after the encore. I, however, left dry and entertained.
WHY YOU SHOULD GET OFF YOUR MONEY MAKER THIS WEEK
Tuesday: National Talk Like a Pirate Day at Redlight Redlight. Get your premium imports with a side of ARRR.
Wednesday: We are Scientists (California indie- rock) and Art Brut (British indie-rock) @ The Social
Thursday: Bob on Blonde @ The Back Booth- The trio is sure to bring a rip-roaring, beer-throwing, trash-talking rock fest.
Friday: Marc with a C @ Stardust- Intelligent, acoustic-nerd rock. Marc tends to put on a good show with a wide range of wit and talent.
Saturday: The Legendary J.C.’s @ Wallstreet- Knee-slapping, ass-shaking, good-time-having blues band.
Sunday: A Tribe Called Quest @ House of Blues- If you need this explained your ass needs to Wikipedia now.
Monday: Mypod Mondays @ The Matador- Impress your friends with your stellar playlist… or don’t.


1 Comments:
I also came across Will Hoge opening up for another band and have been hooked ever since.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home